Dutton Gregory Banner Image

We’re here when you need us

Studying in the UK

International students can come to study in the UK under Tier 4 of the Points-Based System.

In general, adult students can come to the UK under the sponsorship of an appropriate educational institution, provided that they have sufficient funds, and can prove their English language ability.

Child students can come to study at schools in the UK under Tier 4.

There are also opportunities for short-term English-language study under the visa provisions for visitors.

If you need to extend your permission to stay in the UK in order to complete your studies, then there are restrictions on the total length of time you can spend, and the level at which you can study.

Most international students on degree courses are allowed to work in the UK, for up to 20 hours a week during term-time, and full time during vacations. However, individual conditions are set out on visas and residence permits, and you must make sure that you do not breach the terms of your leave. If you work more hours than you are allowed then your employer could be fined, and future applications and your studies could be put at risk.

We work closely with the international offices of a number of universities and colleges in the South of England, and this allows us to accept student referrals at discounted rates in many cases. Please ask your educational institution for a referral to take advantage of this.